Friday, October 14, 2016

Review for : My Pancakes Taste Different Today by Bruce Galpert and Heather Wood Galpert


Could a Pancake have the power to shape a child's view of their world? It was a surprise to Ethan that his favorite breakfast, a stack of steaming hot pancakes, would reveal many ways that nature and people work together. He discovered that everyone has a hand in taking care of nature. Ethan would have never guessed that his simple, innocent act of tossing an oil can into the lake, just to make a big splash for fun, could change his whole wide world. The slippery journey of the oily OOZE leaking from the can, across the lake, down the river to the beaver ponds, and into the fields of grain brought all of Ethan's friends together. Everyone pitched in to clean up the OOZE from the lake, the fish, and the fields, to get rid of the mess around the lake they all loved. They celebrated with a party and plenty of pancakes.



Amazon:


BookMasters:



I read this little gem to my 4yr old neighbor. And I as I read it she got excited , and then confused and finally sad. But once I finish this book , she was happy and smiling again. She loved it , and thought it was funny how he was thanking the beavers. As we talked about it, she understood why the pancakes tasted funny. So in my review I wanted to say this book was wonderful. It kept Alyson entertained , and taught her many lessons. How the environment works with us and for us , how one little mistake can throw off everything. And how with team work , and dedication all can be fixed.



Bruce is 56 years old, lives with his wife Heather in Santa Fe, New Mexico where Bruce has lived for 27 years. Bruce attended the University of Dallas studying International Finance and Economics. Bruce has two
adult sons, Matthew and Evan, and has two grandchildren, Ethan age 3 and Avery age 1. Growing up, Bruce lived in the Philippine Islands and Japan, and enjoys traveling, writing, skiing, chess, playing guitar, cooking and entertaining, playing tennis and golf. As a professional, Bruce has been an investment advisor for 32 years, and recommends that the best investment is an investment in our children. Heather is 44 years old, and lives with her husband Bruce in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Heather has worked most of her professional career in Special Events and Fund Raising for non profit organizations such as the Museum of New Mexico Foundation, The Santa Fe Community Foundation, The Santa Fe Botanical Garden. She is a graduate of Evergreen State College with a Liberal Arts Degree. Heather enjoys traveling, is a gourmet cook, and enjoys playing tennis and golf. Santa Fe artist Barbara Cate is an illustrator of books and has a card line which may be seen at mesamooncards.com and at GardenandSoul.com. My Pancakes Taste Different Today! is her latest book. Barbara has lived in Hawaii and enjoys teaching children.
Author website:
Add caption
  1. What inspired the idea behind this book?
BRUCE: As a young father with two sons, I read a lot to my kids…I also spent most Sundays cooking pancakes with and for them--I ate quite a few myself! Trying to teach my kids life lessons, recycling and protecting the environment were also concepts that were important, but difficult to teach to young kids. I always felt that it was hard for children to grasp how their actions could impact the environment positively or negatively. The idea of My Pancakes Taste Different Today! came out of that quest.

  1. How would you describe the character of Ethan?
BRUCE: Ethan is just like my youngest son Evan was at that age. The character of Ethan is built around Evan: Ethan is eight years old, observant, intelligent, fun loving, sweet and kind to nature, animals and others. He loves his pancakes and his mother! He is smart and funny, has tons of friends, and is always asking questions. In real life, I now have a three-year old grandson named Ethan by way of my son Matthew, so all bases are covered!

  1. What was the biggest challenge you faced in writing My Pancakes Taste Different Today!?
BRUCE: Getting started, the beginning, the middle, and the end! Writing is not my strong suit! Fortunately for me, my wife Heather came into my life. Not only did she inherit my family, but she inherited this project of 20 years that I was unable to complete, even after attending children’s book writing workshops given by some of the best writers in the business. She is credited for helping me put a structure around the story and move it from an idea to something I can hold and read to my grandkids.

  1. What was the most rewarding moment you experienced while writing this book?
BRUCE: Seeing the beautiful artwork that Barbara Cate did, and how it worked in harmony with the writing to really tell the story. Heather and I have had such a wonderful time working on this together – it’s our baby.  



#ThePancakesBook ,


No comments:

Post a Comment